Saturday, June 9, 2012


I didn’t beat the sunset, but I didn’t really think I would. I did manage to get the final course of forms lifted and fixed in place before the light gave out which was a blessing, since drilling and bolting the panels in the dark is difficult at best (and not exactly the safest thing to be doing at 2.5m above ground level).


That’s the last of the big panels complete, and again I’m very happy with the result. I’m especially pleased with the chamfers between the panels - they’ve very precisely defined and close to perfect. They really do look good, and their precision really does set off the rest of the wall.

One thing I noticed as I was packing up, is that the tiger stripes on the oldest wall panels have faded considerably. My suspicion is that they’re caused by rubber from the ramming head being deposited on the form ply and transferring to the wall, but it appears that this thin film of rubber is no match for exposure in the weather as it’s reducing in intensity over time.

I’m not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed…

No comments:

Post a Comment