Monday, June 11, 2012


That one didn’t take long. 25 minutes or so to mix up a small batch of soil, then an hour of ramming and fiddling around shovelling soil from the bobcat bucket into the forms.

Here’s the result!

I’m not game to remove the doorway framework just yet, while I have confidence enough to remove the formwork panels as soon as I finish ramming I think I’ll let the block dry before I ask it to support its own weight.

So that’s the end of my rammed earth experience for the near future. I’m definitely going to build with it again in the project somewhere; it’s bloody hard work but the result is more than worth the effort.

For once I’ve managed to beat the sunset, too! Packing up in the twilight is so much nicer than fumbling around in the dark…

No comments:

Post a Comment