Friday, April 26, 2013

Roof plumbing, and ... window frames!

With work being so busy at the moment and with Anzac Day giving us an extra short week, I completely forgot to confirm that the window frames were still on target for delivery on Friday. I hadn't heard anything to the contrary but that's usually a signal that something will go wrong at the last moment... but just in case they did show up as planned I thought I'd better do something about the road in. It's been about a year since I last graded it, and the rain has done a great job of ruining it and so it's been getting increasingly difficult to get in and out, especially in a truck.

Twenty minutes on the bobcat later...

Much better! :)

So a couple of hours after Savva arrived to get stuck into the roof flashing and capping, the windows actually arrived! Because I'm installing them solo I asked that they be delivered unglazed, and I'm glad I did - the sashless double hung units will be heavy, much more so than the few kilograms that the bare frames weigh. Installing them should be relatively straightforward...

As for their construction, they're pretty standard fare - Meranti, set up already for the sashless units. As we're classified BAL-FZ, no timber species meets the required fire rating without protection and so our window frames all have to be protected with 2mm (!!) galvanised flashing externally, in addition to stainless fly-wire mesh and steel shutters. This level of protection basically means that we're free to use any hardwood species, which actually reduces the cost over something like ironbark, spotted gum or redgum which are suited to the higher BAL ratings.

I'll get stuck into installing them tomorrow, hopefully.

Savva managed to get a few bits and pieces finished off, but it's been slow going adjusting all the flashes and caps to be perfectly straight. It's worth taking the time though, as I'll be looking at the end result for a long time and I'll see all the little imperfections (even if nobody else will!)

I finally managed to chase down the clips necessary to fix the flat deck roof over the pump room, and so that went down easily:

The barge caps are installed on both ends of the dwelling roof, and they're looking good!

There's still quite a lot of flashing to install, and it's going to be slow, fiddly work interfacing it all with the Hebel panels...

I'm glad it's Savva doing this job!

1 comment:

  1. G'day Simon... Love your work and I'm watching with interest. We're about to start on a similar house construction for a BAL-FZ area in Wandong and I've got a few tips and idea confirmations from your blog.
    Keep it up, it's looking great!

    Regards, John